Thursday, 12 March 2009

Little Cheers

This week is my rest week and I am nursing an irritating cough that comes and goes. When I was on antibiotic, it went away after 2 days and after completing the course, it came back again a couple of days later, not in a serious way, as with fever and such but rather as a tickle in my throat and a mild sore throat. So I have been avoiding cold drinks, fried food, citrus fruits etc.

Today my 3 friends had arranged to meet for lunch and I couldn't say yes or no until this morning. Why? Because when I went to bed last night the cough acted up. Paul was in church for a meeting and I was trying to sleep early and be better for today. But the irritation in my throat was bugging me. I got up for some hot water to ease the discomfort and sucked on a lozenge AND as I laid down again, I called on to the LORD for help. LORD, please grant me rest for the night, You know how Paul would remain wakeful each time I get into a coughing "frenzy". Yes, please give Paul a good night rest too (we have had several wakeful nights in the last 4 weeks). I cast my anxiety on the LORD 1 Peter5:7 "Cast all your anxieties on the LORD for He cares for you". I know I did not want to be on another course of antibiotic (it weakens me quite alot).
Really, after that little prayer, I remained so still and avoided any movement that may trigger the cough. Yes, the hot water and lozenge helped and by the LORD's grace I drifted into a restful sleep through the night, woke up once to have another drink of hot water BUT there was no coughing at all last night. And Paul slept well and was not disturbed. Am I thankful to the LORD? YES, I am!

And this morning I felt well enough to join my 3 friends for a simple lunch fellowship. I have not seen them for 2 months now... the last time SK prepared chilli crab at her home...so memorably yummy.
All was so glad to see me and B couldn't helped but shared this - she prayed this morning that I will be able to come. I came. And she also prayed for her dog who had to visit the vet this morning (each time her dog would be car sick and vomit). She said this is the first time prayed for her dog and indeed this is the first time the dog did not become sick in the car!
Nothing is too inconsequential for prayers. (Many times we think that prayers are only reserved for more important things in life... not true... GOD is interested in our little "anxieties").
YES, we thankful. We are grateful for the little cheers in our lives.
Should I only be thankful when my cough is totally gone...or be thankful that for yesterday night, it did not trouble me, I could sleep and for today, I could be out and not "hacking " away...

No comments: