Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Chest infection

I came down with a bad chest infection just after my mother-in-law's funeral. I think it has been over 20 days now. It all started with Paul having a serious cold. We took all precautions - he went to sleep in another bedroom for 1 week and whenever he had to drive me to the doctor, he had a mask on and sometimes I had also to put on a mask. We made sure we washed our hands thoroughly. After close to 2 weeks of tight hygiene, Paul told Dr. G that he is thankful that I am OK.... wah...what a mistake....because the next week I came down with a cough. I am rather averse to being happy too soon because it sometimes turn out wrong. We are surrounded by so many sick people, coughing, sneezing...the flu bug is everywhere... and apparently people are sick longer and longer and don't seem able to shake off the bug despite on many courses of antibiotic.

So it is no surprise that I also succumbed. I was so angry (with who???myself, Paul, people, GOD?). When one is ill, one can be rather unreasonable. Why should I be sick again, I was down in November with cough and fever and it is just too soon to fall ill again. With a racking cough and a running fever, I laid in bed with great misery. [Of course that was reason why I could not write in my blog for so long... no energy and no mood...] My days have not been good, still going for treatments and now weakened by the cough bug... I was feeling rather sorry for myself. But in a couple of days the antibiotic worked very well and the cough stopped, the fever went away. When one is feverish one can be quite disoriented and dense and the mind can be filled with awful thoughts.

I thought that I was in the clear for a week but sadly the cough lingered on and I am again on another course of antibiotic. Looks like it is quite hard to shake this cough. I know that many healthy friends had a bout of cough or flu and for some reason they also took a long time to recover. So it is not unexpected that I also am having a hard time with this chest infection primarily because my immunity is low. So I have been resting since Sunday. The strong antibiotic makes me feel like I am in a daze. I drink a lot of water (warm). I am thankful that I still have a good appetite in the morning and lunch time but less so for dinner.

Do pray that I will respond to the antibiotic and be well again.

No comments: