Another hospital stay from 22nd Aug to 25th Aug – this time it was for a bout of diarrhea. I had the diarrhea from midnight Tuesday till morning Wednesday, going so many times that I forgot. By morning, I was exhausted, my back muscles aching from getting in and out of bed. I was also dehydrated and had to get into hospital. There, the doctor did blood tests which showed my potassium has dropped to too low a level. I had to be infused with a large quantity of potassium. I was also given 2 days of intravenous feed in order to rest my gut. Thank God that I was able to leave after 3 nights stay. But, at home, I still felt weak and spent the next two days – Saturday and Sunday laying in bed most of the time. My front and back muscle ached whenever I turned in the bed or get up. I thought I would have the weekend to recover before my next treatment on Monday.
Today, although I still did not feel well enough, I went in for the top up of Potassium and Calcium and had the Velcade and Zometa injections. I also need to step up the dose of thalidomide from weekly to daily. I pray the LORD will give me the strength to bear with the effects of Velcade for the next few days. My body is not tolerating the treatments and seems to react with fever, fatigue, diarrhea and bloatedness. I feel breathless more often now. It has been very unpleasant.
But, I know by faith that the LORD will give me the strength to endure because all of you have been praying for me. Physically and mentally, I am fatigued and don’t know how much more I can take. But, the Word of GOD says that He will not let me endure that which I am not able. “Our eyes look to the LORD our GOD till He shows us His mercy.” Ps123.
Beautiful Memories
However, I must not only tell you the negatives because the LORD did give me 3 most memorable days – 17th to 19th Aug – during the rest week necessitated by my lung infection and before the diarrhea incident.
On Friday, 17th around 3pm, Paul drove me to Labrador Park. I was able to walk the seaside for an hour hand in hand with Paul. It was lovely. We saw two elderly gentlemen in wheelchairs. They were there with a nun and a driver. They seem content sitting under the gazebo enjoying the breeze of the sea air. We walked past them, smiled and walked on. I was happy that my body was strong enough to take the short walk.
On Saturday afternoon, Paul drove me to Kent Ridge Park. It was a cloudy afternoon. There was a group of young children with their teachers. Soon, they left and we were left walking with my arm on Paul’s. I felt happy. We walk into the inner road of the park but it soon became quite chilly and windy. We did not walk all the way and soon turned back. I had light clothing on and did not want to catch a chill. But, the short walk round the park was good for me. On the way back home, I even wanted to stop somewhere for a tea break. We didn’t because I was not sure I had sufficient energy.
On Sunday morning, I woke up again feeling refreshed. I suggested to Paul that we go to “Simply Bread” at Sixth Avenue. There we shared a sandwich. It was just splendid to again able to do something which we often do together. It was encouraging for me to be out in and around normal healthy people, enjoying a simple meal. I was so happy we could even walk into the supermarket to buy some ham. Although it was a short break for me, I cherished the time with Paul.
I really thank the LORD for giving me those three wonderful and memorable days. I know that there will be good days and bad days. May the gracious LORD grant me more of the good days. I know that the weeks when I have treatment and I feel lousy and sickly, I have memories such as these to think of and be thankful for. Praise the LORD.
Paul writes:
Prayer Request
Li Leng started her 5th cycle of targeted therapy treatment today with Dr. Gerard Teoh. This is also the 3rd Velcade cycle. This cycle, the Velcade dose is reduced slightly to help her body tolerate it better but the thalidomide dose is increased to daily taken at night.
Li Leng has not tolerated this well in the last cycle coming down first with a lung infection from which she is still recovering from and a bout of diarrhea which sapped her energy.
Today, a crucial blood test was done to determine the M-band which tells the level of Myeloma in her body. The last test done on 6th August was 10.4.
Please pray
For protection against any infection and nausea and diarrhea;
For her body to be strengthened and that she can consume food;
Tight muscles around back and abdomen to relax;
Sound and restful sleep;
For a lower M-band which indicates the treatment is working.
We trust the LORD and believe that He is right here with us even as we travel through this dark valley. We trust Him to provide and to heal. He is our Shepherd and we can rest secure in Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment