Friday, 25 July 2025

Pain is debilitating

I thought I had an easy start to this new chapter of myeloma relapse. In fact my earlier posts got me all ready and set to go. With the rhema word (15 April) from the Lord to boldly and bravely face what is to come. The Lord was marvellously gracious to almost instantly within 1 month brought the m-band down to 1.5g/L; that gave a boost to my confidence. Those two words "Wait" and "Remember" sailed my boat. Little did I know nor was prepared for the onslaught of "little troubles" one after another. 

I felt those troubles must not be dramatised in view of many I know who are in serious and life-threatening troubles. Don't give air to manageable discomforts; which almost every cancer patients would have to endure. Having experienced them years ago, I should be able to handle them. It wasn't so easy, I am 18 years older and my physical body isn't the same. It did cause me and Paul much distress; we needed to reach out to Prof C, consulted family Dr for immediate respite, contacted friendly and helpful Advance Nurse Practitioners for advice. We were at a loss. Thankfully, over two weeks the issue resolved. 

Then there was an incident caused by new medications that affected intestinal control. All these make me realise that trips out of home may be curtailed and need a bit more planning. I am not as free as before and need to pre-empt exigencies.

The worst must have been last Friday. I had a severe toothache at a molar with root canal done in 2022. The pain was debilitating. Thankfully, I was able to get a consult with my regular dental  surgeon and immediately we called for appointment with the endodontist who performed the suspected root canal work. With X-ray and clinical assessment, he concluded the tooth must be extracted. It could not be saved as re-infection is most likely to happen again. 

As a myeloma patient, dental issues are our worst fears. We have read much and been repeatedly warned of ONJ (I just can't spell it outright, mental block). We are supposed to clear all dental works. An extraction has added risks for myeloma patients and in my case, I recently started with 4 month infusions of zometa, a bisphosphanate. The last infusion 2 weeks ago. It was a nightmarish decision that I had to make.On Tuesday afternoon, the oral surgeon at NUH explained step by step what he needed do. I said, "Yes".

We trusted God. We prayed and shared with a few friends and family for prayers.

It took the Dr tremendous strength to extract it; the tooth broke and parts had to be delicately removed as well as some incisions to the gums. Paul told me upon reaching home, he was traumatised as he observed the entire procedure of over 45 min. With pain medications, I managed to get through the next few nights, nervously worrying about the healing. Casting all cares and worries to the Lord, we must count our blessings through this episode. I shall do in the next posting. I call some of them, rhema moments.

Pain steals our composure. I could not function fully, my mind was in distress and my body physically drained as sleep in the night was interrupted. Today, I woke up feeling more able as the pain is reduced. I could attend a zoom meeting and write this blog. Thank God!


No comments: