Sunday, 16 October 2011

aye-ok

I went for my regular eye check-up and has been pronounced ok. Eye pressure 16(right) and 14(left). Did the field vision test, eyes dilated and photographed, nerves test etc. It took 2 hours to go through all of them!  Sometimes I wonder whether if it is necessary to do all the tests at such frequency - I don't feel that there is any deterioration of the eye sight - why should I need to do the field vision test. Wouldn't it be sufficient to do it annually. Already having to see the eye doctor at six months interval is really frequent for me, the doctor is suggesting every three months as "gold standard" for eye review.
As a mm-er, I already have a busy calendar of medical visits -besides primary hematologist, there is need for cardio review and dental review!  Secondly, all the tests are costly and those photographs don't come cheap. Thirdly, optometric consultations and related expenses are not covered by insurance. 
As a patient how can I ensure that I am not undergoing excessive tests at unnecessarily frequent intervals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband, and myeloma patient, is an ophthalmologist. I am a RN who has worked for several ophthalmologists and on the eye floor at a major teaching hospital. The standard of care regarding field of vision tests in glaucoma patients is once a year. There really isn't s standard of care on the retinal photography. The cameras are fairly new, and quite expensive. A provider that has one needs to use it quite frequently to justify it's cost. Your insurane should pay for you to see an ophthalmologist because you are doing so for a medical reason, not just optical care. If you are seeing an optometrist, they are not a medical doctor, and that might be why your insurance is not covering.

Lileng said...

Thanks your comment is helpful!