Tuesday, 7 December 2010

my caregiver

caregiver

Paul has been learning how to cook and has been enthusiastically reading on roasting and some baking. He has never cooked before. I am especially grateful that he is able to do this new activity. WHY? For the last three years, he has devoted the most part of his time and energy on me. Like many mm caregivers, managing mm is time consuming - making countless visits to doctors, taking bloodtests, etc when on treatment, in a month I may have to make about 4 visits, otherwise it would be twice a month. ( I am waiting for the day when the doc say once in 3 months)
 
It has been a sacrificial and humbling journey for my caregiver. He now plans his other commitments around my medical appointments. He has said no to work that requires frequent travel overseas. Forgoing activities that will take away the flexible time he now has. Forgoing invitations to events where there are crowds. Of course he can attend these himself but he chose not to.... 
He ever so careful and diligent in keeping me safe and away from harm's way. To the extent that I start to complain over his over-protectiveness. But he knows how easy it is to make that one slip-up and be at risk. He is surely and always right in this. He is never complacent when it comes to my well-being. 

The Bible instructs the husbands to love their wives as their own bodies Eph 5:28 and as Christ loves the church and gave Himself 5:25.
Paul has been able to demonstrate this biblical love in a most selfless way. 

I am very thankful for his sacrificial love and care. Therefore I am even more grateful and happy that at this point in time, he has found an activity that he can enjoy doing. Something for himself, to relax and occupy his time and his mind. (and not 100% on me and for me) Something so simple can delight and bring gladness to the soul. I see and acknowledge this as a provision from our good and gracious LORD.

Psalm 36:8,9 
They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light. 

No comments: