Saturday, 26 September 2009

An achievement




Finally the product of 6 months of hard work at knitting. I am really very pleased with the outcome. I started on my sweater in April and Paul's in June. In between I did a couple of smaller knits - dolls and berets. The time I needed to stay home and rest was mostly spent on knitting. I hope it has not become an addiction because I must have time for activities. Sitting down too long at one position is not good for the back...says the physiotherapist.
It was really hard work because of the "cable" and cable work cannot have mistakes, else the pattern will look weird. Mistakes had to be painstakingly unravelled and re-knitted, after many of such errors, I managed to figure out how to short-cut the corrections. The earlier I find the mistake, the easier and quicker to put it right. Mistakes such as dropped stitch, purl when it should be knit, cable right when it should be left etc. I learn much along the way and the book "ultimate knitting bible" a Christmas gift from G and A, came in very handy. Knitting pieces like this, is a slow process, I may do 8 to 10 rows a day. Therefore as I finish each side or each sleeve, I was happy and finally to put them together and eventually it became wearable, I was ecstatic. Someone says that our life is a tapestry, when the work is small, you can't really appreciate it but really, each piece of work is painstakingly done by the Master. We are very precious in GOD's sight.

To break from the monotony of knitting the sweaters, I stopped now and then to do something "fun" - the dolls. One of it was given to the grand-daughter of a good friend for her 3rd birthday and the other for Ashley, her birthday is coming up in October (keep it a secret). I hope she will like it.

Most of all I am just so thankful to my sister for teaching me how to knit and I know she will be very proud of what I have done.

No comments: