Thursday, 16 April 2009

MDS - what is this?

A string of acronyms - MRI, BMA, MM and now MDS.

Myelodyplastic syndrome simply means the blood and plasma cells in the bone marrow are not normal. The BMA (bone marrow aspirate) has confirmed MDS. Since last year Dr.T was insistent that MDS was present from his microscopic investigation but the SGH (Singapore General H) did not. But this time round the SGH laboratory FISH probe confirms it.
So, I have both MM and MDS.

What is the state of MM (multiple myeloma)? After the recent round of 5months targetted treatment - I am at VGPR - Very Good Partial Response with M band at 5. How confident we are that it stays around this level, we don't know. Despite the full regiment and Mband has been fluctuating, most time creeping upwards. Dr. T believes that the underlying problem could be MDS. MDS could be standing in the way of treatment for MM. He wants me to start treatment for MDS. Untreated MDS may evolve into leukaemia (AML) in 5 to 7 years time. And he is hopeful that if MDS is controlled, it may help with the on-going management of MM. With the treatment he proposes, there is a 75% positive response. My blood count status at present is actually quite good and therefore I should be able to cope with the treatment.

The treatment with Vidaza will start on Monday 20 April - daily injections for 7 days and rest for 2 to 3 weeks. Full treatment may mean 6 to 8 cycles. OK, now the horror factor - there will be 4 injections each time, into the tummy subcutaneous fat, consecutively for 7 days. Arrrrgh!!!! Total 28 jabs!!! Arrrgh!!! Granted, I have a thick layer of tummy fat (thank GOD for my fat tummy)...but just imagine the number of pricks!!!!

The 1 to 2 weeks after the jabs, if I respond, it means that my blood count will drop and that is the time when I am prone to infection therefore I have to avoid crowd and be homebound. If I respond positively, the count should improve before I can go on to the next cycle of injections. This means that with this treatment my social activities have to be reduced. (Paul will be so watchful over every cough and sniffle around me... I will just have to stay away for awhile... still can go out to open parks etc...lah...I will not be in isolation...can meet one or two friends... )

I have a fews days to get out and do what I like - heh, heh. I am going to buy another batch of yarn to knit (be staying home more) and I am going for a crab fix...mmm. Black pepper crab...chilly crab....butter crab....mmm

Tired and weary..of course.. physically and mentally I am weary. It has been 2 years now..in and out of hospital visits etc etc. Isaiah 40:30,31 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
I am no youth, so I legitimately can be tired. But this Scripture verse tells me that if I hope in the LORD, I can renew my strength, I can soar on wings like the eagles, I can "run" and still not be weary...yes, I can go on with the strength from the LORD. I can. I can.

My friends, pray for me to continue my hope in the LORD and to lean on the LORD for strength. "in quietness and trust is my strength"

No comments: