Monday, 10 November 2008

The Dreadful Day


Firstly before I recount The Dreadful Day, I must express my gratitude and thanks to the LORD and all my friends, I completed the 6 weeks of Dexa. I must say, on the whole it was smooth going - Dexa gave me some very good days and I maximised on some of them. But Dexa really has the problem of making me susceptible to infections. I caught one in the beginning and one at the end! Now we have to wait and see if it did a good job in bringing down the M band?

The Dreadful Day started with me getting a cough on Friday and over the weekend I had rather high fever, it went on for 5 days. The bloodtest on Monday showed readings of a low immunity, several numbers went into the red. On The Dreadful Day (Wednesday), I had to do a Bone Density test, we went at 9.15am and waited and a hour later was told that an in-patient had to be seen first, another hour went, another patient slipped in, waited... and then was told the machine malfunctioned. Ok..there goes the whole morning.

We went up to Dr. G Teoh's clinic for my regular Zometa infusion and because of the low immunity reading and a fever I could not shake, he decided to add 2 bottles of immunoglobulin. The Zometa went in, no problem, the IvIg was supposed to be an hour each but was shortened to half an hour. During that time we were watching Barrack Obama on CNN (5th Nov). When the second bottle was down to a quarter, I started to feel cold, the coldness from from legs spread to my whole body and I started to shake badly. The nurses came in when they saw that I couldn't control my shaking, it wasn't the cold, I was reacting to the infusion. It was stopped immediately, the doctor was called (he had gone to day ward to attend to a patient). They kept telling me to breathe slowly... my pulse was racing...they could not get my BP measured on my arm and had to take it from my leg. Soon the doctor arrived and administered intravenous steroid and something else. He managed to help me recover and then put me into the ward to monitor before I was discharged in the evening.

What a horrendous experience! For a split second when I was in "a rigor", I thought I could be going..... I guess these are the concomitant "dangers" of infusions, transfusions, anesthesia, etc. and it happened to me. Dr. Teoh was actually attending to a patient with similar response to IvIg infusion just before me. (it could be a batch problem...whatever it was, it hit me!)

While I was prone, in shock with nurses around me...Paul was so lost and didn't know what to do except sent out SOS to our prayer intercessors. It was our lifeline. We thank you for your prayers...some of you just stopped what you were doing and went on your knees, dashed out of the shop and went home to pray, immediately called another friend to pray on the phone together. The LORD is merciful and He heard your prayers. Thank you, my friends.

I am now much better. My energy level is a bit low. Fever is gone but the cough is lingering... please pray for it to clear completely.

No comments: