Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Cancer Warrior


I am very encouraged by this recently diagnosed cancer “warrior”, she wrote in her blog, “Like battle scars, which are nothing to be ashamed of, a bald head means I am fighting the cancer and glad to be alive!” There is a certain courage in her and I know this is from the LORD, the inner strength that allows her to face each day, that moves her to get into the car and drive to hospital for her treatment. Some of the procedures she has to receive are not pleasant. As she recounted of the canula that was pierced into her vein so that anti-cancer drugs are infused, I remembered the time when after a few months of infusions, the nurse could not find a strong vein, the veins on both my hands were moving and too soft, between the doctor and the nurse, they had to pierce me three times before the canula could be inserted (ouch and double ouch!).

Yes, I am glad to be alive! I am thankful that there are fellow “warriors” to encourage one another on in the rather difficult journeys we each have to walk. Look at the photo. It was a picnic on Vesak day at the Botanics. From the photo you would not know but there are three with cancer and one with aneurysm. Our friends have organized a picnic for us. We had a lovely morning, walking the gardens at the Botanics and enjoying the delicious bee hoon, pau, carrot cake etc. Our brother KJ though unsteady in his legs, was able to strum the guitar as we sang songs of praise and hymns. Our dear friends made special efforts to ensure our comfort; they brought foldable picnic chairs for us to sit on. We are definitely not alone in our “journey”, our dear friends are with us, cheering us on each step of the way! Praise the LORD for this big family that we are a part of. Thank you, D, S, LM, SL, A, W, M and of course, our dearest spouses.

No comments: